[T3] Brad Penn Question

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jun 11 18:19:55 PDT 2012

Well, a few things to be aware of with Brad Penn oil, not all the Brad Penn
has the ZDDP in it, their "penn grade 1" (I think that’s the name)is the
green oil, semi synthetic, and THAT has the ZDDP... their others don’t have
levels highenough.  I would NOT use Brad Penn semi synth in an engine
without an oil filter though, which includes all of our stock engines due to
its high detergent properties.  If your engine has always had it in it then
your probably OK but if you switch off dino oil then you risk cleaning out
sludges that keep getting recirculation thru the bearings. For our stock
motors there is the Dino Pennzoil racing oil 25W50, and I haven’t found any
others.

Secondly, the engine builders recommend the ZDDP during the entire life of
the engine, not just break in. Berg uses the Pennzoil despite Gene's sermons
about using thinner oils in the old days, Jake Raby wont even talk to you if
you use an oil he doesn’t explicitly recommend for his engines.   LN
engineering also has a good writeup on oil

Lastly, Brad Penn has a SPECIFIC "Break in oil", its formulated for the
first 100 miles of break in... its SAE30, but I guess what Id recommend is
that if you rebuild an engine nowdays, put in full flow... a good idea that
makes life a lot easier when it comes to oil and opens up more possibilities
for oil
\
Keith

Top Notch Restorations