[T3] Radio Speakers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 12 06:35:02 PDT 2012

On 11 Jun 2012 at 0:00, Robert Rogers wrote:

> I have a ´69 Fastback that I would like to mount one or more radio
> speakers.  When I look under the dash I find little room for a speaker
> (unlike my ´67 Fastback).  I could mount speakers in the doors, but
> how do I protect the wires to the speakers?  I could also mount them
> under the rear window but I am reluctant to cut large holes in tha?
> area.  There must have been a radio option by the dealer.  Where did
> they mount a speaker?

I think all our cars up thru '70 had the same geometry under the dash
and used the same small size speaker, so I don't understand what the
difference could be between a '67 and a '69.

The installations I've familiar with are the Blaupunkt ones. They use
a special bracket that rests against the top of the ash tray at the
rear and fasten to the underside of the dash with 2 small screws at
the front. I think that speaker was something like a 3 x 5", quite
small. You had to remove the ash tray to install the speaker, no big
deal, and then reinstall it after the speaker was in place. I don't
have any spares of those special brackets.

On later cars, after the air vents were added to the dash, the
speakers were slightly larger, maybe 4 x 6", and were held in place
by some spring bails which locked into fittings provided on the
underside of the dash. I have several of those bails. To install
those speakers, you have to R&R the air ducts and the ash tray.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org