[T3] Brad Penn Question

Jonathan Stiles misterstiles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:16:18 PDT 2012

Terrie,

The previous owner of your VW was right. You most likely didn't see it as
recommended because few Auto Parts Stores carry it and many people have to
order it by the case. If you have a mechanic, have the shop order it for
you.

Brad Penn 20W-50 oil is fine in every respect for use in your Fastback,
filter or no filter. There is no danger of running it. You can switch
around to other oils all you like with few problems. However, the lack of
Zinc (ZDDP) in other oils will harm your motor if used for prolonged
periods. Brad Penn is highly regarded in the VW racing and rebuilding world
and has a very good reputation as being "the best" out there.

The partial synthetic composition of Brad Penn oil has been designed to
give the superior lubrication properties of synthetics without having
heat-soak and without aggressive detergents that often come in a full
synthetic oil. Brad Penn formulated their oils for the vintage and classic
car markets, and the 20W-50 specifically for aircooled and vintage vehicles
with a broad heat range.

Valvoline VR1 20W-50 Non-Synthetic Racing oil is a great alternative to
Brad Penn if BP is not readily available. I have used both for many years,
but Brad Penn is a superior product.

I know I sound like a salesperson but I can't help it. Brad Penn's West
Coast distribution center is down the street from my shop.

Jon Stiles