[T3] Plug wire advice

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 16 18:46:56 PDT 2012

On 16 Jun 2012 at 18:53, James Lingenfelter wrote:

> Hi guys; I have a dead plug wire to cylinder #1, and would like to
> know what plug wire set you guys recommend. The reasons that the plug
> wire is bad are: 1. The wires exit vertically out of the boots at the
> distributor end, and there is no clearance between the top of the
> distributor -especially where #1 wire comes out- and the engine
> hatch, so the plug wire is nearly crimped at a right angle where it
> exits the boot, and 2. The plug wire to cylinder #1 is really too
> short, so it is stretched to the max just to barely reach, putting
> stress on the wire connections at both ends.

I have Bosch sets which I think should be okay, except that one wire
is maybe just marginal in length. They have right angle ends that are
crimped on, and all the FI Type 3s need that right angle since the
dist is taller.

If you really want the perfect set, I could build up one from a new
Bosch set plus 5 used OE right angle dist cap connectors and some
longer wire. That would be quite expensive, but you would never have
to buy a new set. All together this would run you $80, but that's not
too bad considering that I sell the dist connectors for $10 each
(which is less than Bosch sold them for 30 years ago.)

I never install new sets, I just replace parts as necessary. The only
parts that MIGHT ever need replacement are the SP connectors, the
airseal flaps, and the wires. Most of that is very seldom necessary.

Way too many of these parts got thrown away under the false
impression that newer was better.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org