[T3] Late windshields

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 17 13:52:29 PDT 2012

On 17 Jun 2012 at 13:44, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> My 65 came to me sans windshield.  I may be able to buy a windshield from a 71 locally, but I understand these are slightly smaller than the 69-down style.  Is the size difference enough to make them troublesome to fit with a new seal, without clips, in an older body?
>
> Also, do I assume correctly that the size of the window opening remained the same throughout the run of T3s, and only the seal was modified to accommodate the different size windshield and clips?

With the exception of the Type 34s, I believe the windshield opening
never changed. Starting in '71, SOME markets, including the US, got
smaller windshields and different gaskets to accommodate the clips
that were installed to help keep the windshield from popping out in
an accident. I'm not sure how much smaller the late windshields were,
but it wasn't much.

You could probably install the late windshield without clips and with
the early gasket. I think a good late gasket will be really hard to
find, unless it comes with the windshield.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org