[T3] Invasion prep woes....

David Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 16:21:57 PDT 2012

You might try a pop-rivet, though the danger is that it might make a
bigger hole if it tears it as it sets.  You might be able to make a patch
and rivet it on to stronger material.  That part of the muffler gets the
weather and often rusts through first, or the seam at the bottom where
acids collect.  Certainly the exhaust paste will hold quite well worked
into a seam.

Alternatively, make an 'octopus' of thin wire and spread out the strands
inside and outside the muffler.  It doesn't really matter how effective a
rivet it makes as long as there's a good layer of paste.  Wire brush the
area first to get most of the rust off.  You may even find another few
small holes to lace the wire through!  Warm the muffler and let it harden
before you put your foot down!

Dave (now near Boulder., CO)
UK VW Type 3&4 Club