[T3] ] Inertia Reel Springs SOLVED

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jun 30 18:13:20 PDT 2012

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"
65 Notchback "El Baja Rojo"
65 Squareback "Eggcrate"
87 golf "Winterat"
93 RX7 "Redstur"

Well I tried light oil I tried Grease, then I took Jims suggestion and tried
a dry graphite lubricant.  What a mess!  I got it all over the bench , all
over ME, the floor, the car, then it got on my shoes and all over the
kitchen floor... definitely not stuff for the Married man to try but when it
was all back together the same issue, it tightens up as you pull the belt
off the reel but doesn't have hardly any spring tension to unwrap.

SO

I figured, what do I have to lose, why not try UNWRAPPING the spring, (going
the other way)  ya know, piss it off, and after some jumbling the spring
around and getting it loose in there WALLA!  When you pull the belt out and
it UNWRAPS the spring  (from the middle where the shaft is attached), it
tries to wrap back up nicely and works perfectly now!  (I just flipped the
spring over to do this)

Whew!  So I don't really know if the graphite lube helped or not but what a
mess....  finally got it all cleaned up and back in the car.

This was getting to be an obsession... one of those things that I just had
to finally figure out!