[T3] Keith's armature

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 30 12:16:18 PDT 2012

Keith gave me a Type 3 armature at the Invasion. I've tested it and
it's good. The commutator still has pleaty of meat on it and the
windings are good. I turned the commutator, and had to take off about
.015" before it would clean up everywhere. There was a low spot where
the dark areas were, so that may have been the problem.

Keith, if you want this back, you're welcome to it, otherwise save
the housing w/field windings for me, as this appears to be a
perfectly good spare. It's still possible, however, that there's a
short in the field windings.

If you have a chance, it's easy to measure the resistance from the
center of the 2 field coils to each side. They should be equal (2.0-
2.3 Ohms.) If they're not, that's a problem.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org