[T3] high idle

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Thu Jun 7 17:13:52 PDT 2012

The car runs great.

The idle is high at about 1200 RPM with the engine warmed up (after a 15-mile drive in 80-degree heat).

Turning the idle adjust screw in does not help.

Plugging the AAR hose (downstream) doesn't help much (I feel a little bit of vacuum).

Plugging the AAR hose (upstream) helps some (a lot more vacuum here).  When I leave this hose open to atmosphere, the idle "hunts" (goes up and down).

Plugging the hose to the manifold pressure sensor seems to help the most.

I checked the dwell and it's about 56 degrees.  I checked the timing and it's at zero degrees.

Am I missing something?  Do I need a "new" manifold pressure sensor, even though it runs just fine?  I currently get about 27 MPG.

In hindsight (it's always 20/20), I haven't checked for vacuum leaks at the intake air distributor or at the other end of the runners.

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN