[T3] 1600cc engine tuning

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 1 21:17:15 PST 2012

On 1 Mar 2012 at 9:27, Toadpipe wrote:

> On 02/29/2012 08:31 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> > FYI, if you're talking about the leaking oil cooler leak, that can be
> > fixed with the engine in the car. It's not easy, but I find it a lot
> > simpler and faster than pulling the engine.
>
> Really?  Huh, well that sounds like a method worth trying.  Any
> caveats/tips for doing it that way?  I would expect there is a trick to
> getting the cooler out from under the sheet metal.

Remove the coil, distributor, generator and the 2 sheet metal plates
around the left side injectors and SP wires. Remove the left
injectors along with the left intake air runners. Remove the left SP
wires and disconnect the temp sensor in the left head. Then remove
all the 6 mm screws that hold the left upper cooling tin. The hardest
part is finding all those screws; some of them will need extra
"persuasion" to come loose. Note that at least one is forward of #3
cylinder and one also holds down the left side of the breastplate.
Those front ones are hard to reach, but it can be done.

Once the sheet tin is off the cooler is easy to service. When the
coolers were new there was a piece of foam rubber glued on top of
them, to keep cooling air from getting around the top without cooling
anything. I have replacements for that if you need it.

Make sure you use the right oil cooler seals for YOUR combination of
case and cooler.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org