[T3] weird idle dips

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:37:28 PST 2012

> but none of them have had the kind of
>construction that's used in automotive ignition systems. I've never
>seen a bad ignition condensor. Have you?

I remember thinking I had a bad condenser on more than one occasion
or suspecting the condenser was bad, simply because to me as a kid
laying in the street it was a black box. Our mentors were these VW
street mechanics in the bronx. Billy Johnson and Wing. Billy would reuse
everything and had the touch to get it right. Wing always had a milk crate
of brand new yellow bosch boxes. Because I didn't have the feel that Billy
had in knowing how to tune a 34pict3 by ear for instance, we fouled plugs
got the mixture wrong, reused parts and suspected condensers were bad.
Do I have proof? No. I ended up adopting Wing's approach of 'all new all
the
time' but I know I've wasted alot of parts over the years trying to have
that
blind quality control.