[T3] Weird Idle Dips

C. Rochambeau crochambeau at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:38:25 PST 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Gary Forsmo <gbforsmo at gmail.com> wrote:

"That leads me to believe when the new spark plug was screwed in, the SP
went into the correct threads, seated on the copper washer properly
and tightened to the correct spec of 22-29 ft. lbs.  Operation seems
just fine.  Or maybe not?"

I used to follow printed torque specs in the Bentley for plugs. I believe I
had a cross threaded condition at one point, that "operated fine" for a
while (months, maybe even years).

Then one day as I was leaving work...   BANG!

My plug was launched. After unplugging the injector trigger wire I loudly
limped home on three cylinders and wound up swapping that head out.

I go for finger tight plus a quarter turn on the plugs now.

I would assume nothing regarding the condition as being fine because it
continues to work. My car has been incredibly generous in the past in
regards to tolerating things that "just ain't right" until the moment I
least expect it. Keeps me humble and awake.

Curtis

--
http://crochambeau.blogspot.com/