[T3] Weird Idle Dips

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 2 20:05:02 PST 2012

On 2 Mar 2012 at 12:01, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> A question has been rolling around in my head for several months.

A fresh subject line would have been good here.  ;-)

> IF (big IF, here) indeed the spark plug hole has been cross-threaded
> at some time in the past, what is the correct remedy?
>
> While reading about HeliCoils, I came across other metal inserts to
> repair spark plug holes.
> E-Z Lok, http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsMetal/carbonSteel.html  &
> Time-Sert.  http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

I prefer Heli-coils, and there are several reasons why.

1) All of these choices are made of steel or stainless, which expands
less with temperature than alum. That means that solid steel inserts
always get loose in the head as the head warms up. Because they are
made oversize, helical inserts will "slip" in their outside threads
to accommodate the change in size. This will make them tight when
cold, but that's not a problem. But solid inserts get loose and will
often come out with the spark plug, and you'll have trouble getting
it off the SP to reuse, or you'll need to replace it every time you
change plugs.

2) The spacing between the SP hole and the valve seats, inside the
combustion chamber, is very small, and this is where most of our
heads eventually crack. For this reason you want to use the thinnest
insert you can get. Helicoils and Timeserts are both good choices
here.

3) The most common style of solid insert has a flange on the face
that prevents it from being installed too deep. This is what the SP
seats against when you tighten it. It also means that when the head
warms up and the insert gets loose, the SP is still tight to the
insert, but the insert is really LOOSE in the head. This doesn't
cause any noticable difference in performance, but that loose stuff
moving around will eventually wear out the threads and require an
oversize insert. That's why those inserts are made in oversize and
double oversize.

4) When an insert comes loose, the heat transfer path from the SP to
the head is interrupted. This makes the SP run hotter than it should.
This can be a problem. Helicoils don't get loose in the head as the
head warms up.

5) I don't have a lot of experience with inserts, but I've had
several Helicoils and never had a Helicoil come out, and I don't see
how it could possibly get pushed in. I have one car with a solid
insert, and that cylinder is a real annoyance any time I have to deal
with that SP. Of course there are people who can screw up anything,
but you should be careful when starting ANY SP, regardless of the
nature of the threads. If you just assume that the threads are OE
aluminum and use proper care, you'll never have any problem.

6) The need for special tools is common to ALL of these approaches.
Regardless of what you decide to use, you'll need the right tap and
you'll need to do it carefully. Yes, Helicoils require a special
insertion tool, but that's because they are oversize before
installation. The fact that they are trying to expand after
installation is what keeps them in place and makes them the right
choice.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org