[T3] 1972 VW Type #3 Fuel injected engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 7 00:20:50 PST 2012

On 6 Mar 2012 at 21:26, BilDylJ at aol.com wrote:

> I have a VW Trike with a 1972 Type 3 {pancake} motor with fuel injection.
> It has a duel point  distributor, I can't find the lower set of points any
> ware. Is their anyone out there that can help me?
>   Can I change to an electronic distributor  ?

Sounds like you're asking about the fuel injection trigger points.
Are you having trouble with them? If so, I can reset them for you
cheaply. Because the FI requires the extra set of points, you can't
change to a different distributor, but you can, if you wish, install
one of the special electronic ignition points replacements that will
fit in there. The reliability of these seems to be varied, however.

In general, the distributors are quite durable, but problems
sometimes arise. I rebuild them for $50, plus the cost of any major
parts and return shipping. I'll reset the FI trigger points for $5
plus return shipping. The contacts on those don't wear, but the
rubbing blocks do, especially if the cam has not been lubricated or
if grit has gotten in there.

I also have good used trigger points that I could sell. The price for
those is $40.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org