[T3] Rev limiting motor

Hal Sullivan tristessa at tristessa.us
Thu Mar 8 22:18:13 PST 2012

On Mar 4, 2012, at 8:21 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2012 at 22:24, Hal Sullivan wrote:
>> On CIS cars, the rev-limiting function is built into the fuel pump
>> relay.
>>
>> Slick piece actually -- teh relay only activates the fuel pump if
>> there's a signal from the (-) side of the ignition coil, meaning that
>> the engine is turning over.  It also monitors the engine RPM, and if
>> it gets "too high" (I think 6000RPM) cuts power to the pump...
>
> Are you sure about this? I've never heard this before, and I've dealt
> with those relays. It's certainly possible to build such a feature
> into the relay, but that doesn't strike me as such a good idea.

Yes and no -- some CIS fuel pump relays have a rev limit built into
them and some .. don't.  When I posted the other evening I had a brain
blip .. remembered about the rev limiter, forgot that it isn't on all
of them.  I used a rev-limiting relay in my engine-swapped Westfalia
(1.8L GTI engine, "basic" K-Jetronic), but the relay currently
installed in our Cabriolet (1.8L, KE-Jetronic)  doesn't have a
limiter .. and the car is supposed to have one.

http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm (down at teh bottom)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4878510-What-s-the-rev-limit-on-a-Mk2-GTI-8V