[T3] proof of life

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 03:40:48 PST 2012

You know I'm only kidding, Bob.

Having started car ownership with a Beetle, I was for ever proving that
there was plenty of luggage space in that, despite what people said - sure,
it was better to use soft bags than suitcases, but you could get a lot in,
and I did have quite a large suitcase/trunk that fitted nicely under the
front.  I'm sure it's the same with most Notches - Brian's excepted!  That's
more fun way to use the space.

We had to rescue my son and girlfriend the other evening when his 3-yr-old
115,000 mile Jetta sedan threw a big-end.  It smashed the crankcase and
poured its oil over the road - I think the cap bolts had failed.  It was a
job to get his couple of suitcases and box of car paraphernalia into the
Golf boot (trunk) with the bits I keep in there.  A Variant (whether the
Type 3 or the Golf Variant) spoils you for space.  Our Golf Hatchback has
the same 105hp 1.9 Tdi engine and is a similar age - I wonder if the cap
bolts are OK on that?  It's not quite the same when it's your own car rather
than a company-supplied one.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club