[T3] Frustrating stalling problem

Norman Roush naroush at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 13 21:35:10 PDT 2012

I hear the two clicks when I turn the key on.  The car runs for 4-5 seconds then stops.  It will readily restart without any adjustments or changes and run again for another 4-5 seconds then stop again.  I check the pump tomorrow and let you know what happens.
Norman

 From: "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org>

On 11 Mar 2012 at 16:15, Norman Roush wrote:

> I checked the screw holding the FI relay that you and Jim Adney
> mentioned?and it is tight.? The car starts easily but runs for only
> 4-5 seconds before it stops.? It doesn?t run rough before it stops, it
> just stops.? Could this be a fuel problem?

Do you hear the 2 relay clicks when you turn the key on? Can you get
a friend to help you so that one of you can listed to the pump as the
engine runs and then dies. Does the pump continue to run after the
engine dies? (If it does, you should hear the pump relay click off
about 1 second AFTER the engine dies.)

If the pump wasn't staying on, it would slow down and die. The sudden
death makes this sound more like an electrical problem, either
ignition or FI. Check your FI grounds.