[T3] oil pump size

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 18:04:00 PDT 2012

I called Berg today and my favorite Tech answered!  They are using the Flat
cams with the Later 26mm pumps on the dual relief cases, despite what the
Bentley says about the two not being interchangeable.  Of course Tim was not
able to elaborate on any of the specifics of What they changed or why the
Bentley says the late pumps wont work on the early cam.

I also asked them what oil they use, Berg was an advocate of the thinner
oils on their engines, I have a whole writeup about it BUT... they are now
using the same Pennzoil 25W50 racing oil that Im using in my Square!  Now
with 125Kmi on the Square I can get away with the thick oil, till it gets
cold anyway but with a NEW engine?  Whats that I hear? Gene rolling in his
grave?

The Pennzoil racing oils DO have the correct ZDDP but are not available in
the thinner viscosities.  Im planning on using the Brad Penn Diesel in the
Notch in the lighter viscosities, after making sure its ZDDP is OK.

Quite a change in policy for Berg!  I can only imagine the oil pressure in a
new engine with that thick oil, especially if they start it where its cold!

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"