[T3] Sagging Door & Thermostat Parts

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Mon Mar 26 23:39:00 PDT 2012

On 3/26/12 9:58 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 26 Mar 2012 at 20:28, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>
>>> I have all those parts other than the return spring. You can probably
>>> come up with a spring locally that will work, but I'm trying to get
>>> set up to make duplicates for these and some others that we
>>> occasionally need.
>> I saw an ad in theSamba Type 3 Parts classifieds that had two of the
>> original springs in the picture.  It was a week or two ago, might have
>> to do some searching.
> I did searches for "spring" and "thermostat" and didn't find them. I
> also looked back thru the last week of ads and also came up empty.
> Were they alone, or part of a big assortment of parts? If you can
> find them again, please send me the link.
>
> thanks,

I've spent the last 45 minutes searching all 40 pages of Type 3 ads.  I
can't find it, the ads only go back 12 days.  They were part of a lot of
engine misc pieces.

I had the hardest time finding that spring.  I believe I emailed Jim,
Russ, and Bert to find one...  I ended up finding one from a junkyard.

I had contacted one of the big spring manufacturers to see if if they
could make them.  It was about $25/spring with the minimum order.  I
just found those emails.  $250 for tooling is the big expense, then just
having a bunch made.  I wasn't ready to take that plunge since I had
already found one.  I took a bunch of pictures and documented all the
measurements though:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117695647213145607663/albums/5724461460116911809

Wire diameter:  .053" / 1.34mm  (5/64")??
Total length:  5 5/16"
Length of large hook section:  1 1/16"
Length of spring section:  1 1/8"
Length of long section/small hook:  3 1/8"
Number of coils:  20
Outside diameter of large hook:  1/2"
Inside diameter of large hook:  3/8"
Outside diameter of small hook:  1/4"