[T3] car died on way home

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:05:19 PST 2012

So, a nice day (63 & sunny)....kinda put my foot in it on the way home with
the windows down.  Was cruising down the road and went over a speed bump
about 5 mph faster than I usually do and after the bump, I got both idiot
lights and the engine died.  I immediately pulled over with a stalled
engine.  Got out and opened up the engine compartment and looked around.
 Nothing glaring.  Tried to start the car a few times and it turned over
fine but would stay running.  I thought about the bump and crawled under
the front to check the fuel pump.  Connector was still on but I wiggled it
anyway just to see if got loose or corroded connections or something.
 Tried to start again, nothing.  Road was busy with traffic/noise and so I
had trouble telling if the 2 clicks for FI were happening.  I shut the
door, rolled up the windows and tried to listen.  I felt like I heard 2
clicks but couldn't be totally sure.  I ran Jim's pump primer and heard
bubbles.  That was weird.  So it told me (I think) that I lost pressure at
some point in the fuel ring.  Hmmmm.....so I held the button down and
turned the key.  Bam, the car started.  I held the button down and drove
away.  When I let go of it, it started to stall again.  In the end, holding
the pump primer button down the whole time got me home.  I felt victorious
to have gotten home without too much trouble and was also pretty sure what
the problem would be.....a fuel pump relay, right?

Went back outside an hour later and tried to start the car.  It ran
perfectly WITHOUT the primer button being held down.  So....what does this
tell me?  I looked at the wires on the relay under the dash and all were in
place.  Should I check them for corrosion and re-seat them?  I am sure that
I heard clicking from under the seat so that relay is working I believe.

Where should I go from here?  I can't help but think that the speed bump
jolted something but now that all is "well" I'm confused.

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback FI/MT