[T3] Rattlesnake clatter...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 18:46:12 PDT 2012

In a message dated 3/12/2012 9:14:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

A while  ago there was back and forth about mystery rattle that SEEMS to
come from the  engine area.    My rattle went away, for a while.  Now it's
back.
This is standard shift.    Rattle---somewhat  tinny...not heavy
metalic...happens between shifts, goes away with just a  little rev.  Car runs fine
otherwise.

But...car had a few minor  momentary stalls lately (rolling, easy
re-start)...again, while shifting or  when car slowed down to below speed the gear
should have been in.  So,  something seems to be getting worse.
While doing rust hole repair on  driver side floor recently, I realized
that the clutch pedal is not at the  right  position.  Too much play.   Not
drastic, but...does  that mean that the clutch cable is stretching, or even
fraying?  The  adjustment nut underneath can't move out of it's seat, I don't
think.

The rattle is probably the heat shield on the muffler. Check to see if it's
 secured at all of it's points. If 1 came loose, the rattle will drive you
crazy.

That nut is spot welded to the floor. It doesn't come out. The bolt that IS
 screwed into it from above does come out, and that's where you adjust the
brake  and clutch pedal stops.This is shown on page 8, figure 4-7  of the
brakes  and wheels section in the Bentley.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)