[T3] Cleaning brake lines

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 15 15:03:58 PDT 2012

On 15 Mar 2012 at 8:33, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I got my new lines from Wolfsburg West. They were the correct lengths,
> except for the left. This was due to me converting the single master  cylinder
> to a dual that I had Jim rebuild.

All the tandem MCs made from '72-on, including OEM and replacements,
have an odd angled port for the LF wheel. It's not at all where it
"should" be, and it takes a completely different brake line to reach
it. You're not supposed to put the brake light switch in that hole,
although many people get away with it. The 2 brake light switches are
supposed to go in the 2 left side ports.

I used to have a few NOS of those late LF lines, but they are all
gone now. What I do, is bend one up by hand, to match an old one that
I keep here as an example. I sell a lot of those with MC rebuilds,
since I've never known a car to come with the correct line, except
for late type 3s that came that way from the factory.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org