[T3] Starting Again?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue May 8 16:24:52 PDT 2012

In a message dated 5/8/2012 3:20:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

Jacob  --

Welcome back to the world of T3's again.

Two years ago, I  resurrected my '69 Squareback from a 10-year barn
storage  period.

With a lot of verbal phone (as well as "hands on") assistance  from Jim
A. (and others on the List) I did what many have suggested.   I'm
fortunate to have Jim within 75 miles of our summer  location.

1)  Changed the oil.  Once before the initial  start.  Another after 50
miles.  But even before the "test  start", I ....
2)  Changed MOST of the fuel hoses from/to fuel tank,  fuel pump, fuel
filter, fuel ring, "stubs" to the injectors, return fuel  line, etc.
But I didn't change them all.  Mistake!  Because this  year on spring
start up, one of the fuel hoses which I didn't replace 2  years ago ...
LEAKED.  Do 'em ALL and install a new fuel  filter.
3)  I had Jim rebuild the fuel pump end of the fuel  pump.  Motor end
was good, IIRC.
4)  I had 8 fuel  injectors.  4 in the car; 4 extras.  I had them  all
professionally  cleaned (reverse flushed), tested for spray  pattern
and operation.  4 failed.  I got 4 good ones  back.
5)  Jacked up the car and removed the jack stands the car had  been
"perched on" for 10 years.  3 of the 4 tires "blew out" when the  car
weight was lowered on them.  Bought and installed 4 new tires,  valve
stems, balanced, etc.
6)  As soon as I could, I had Jim  rebuild my master brake cylinder,
replaced brake switches, flexible brake  hoses, new brake pads, honed
rear brake cylinders, adjusted the shoes,  installed DOT 5 brake fluid.

It's one thing to get the car going down  the road ... but you must
also get it stopped, too.

7)   Adjusted valve clearances, timing, dwell, etc.
8)  Oh, one simple but  very important thing I almost forgot.  Jim
"reinstated" a good solid  ground connection by installing 2 Belleville
washers ( also known as a  coned-disc spring, or conical spring washer)
for the fuel injectors.   That one "fix' on my car, eliminated a
high-speed "miss" and the engine ran  like new, again.

There are probably a few other things that we did, but  many of them
were inconsequential to "getting the car running and  road-worthy".

Just ask the questions, Jacob.
The guys and gals on  the List will almost always have the correct
answers.  It may take  some time, but there's a wealth of experience
and knowledge available  here.  Not from me.  But the others.

Advice is FREE ... but  opinions vary.  :-)

Like Gary, I've been slowly resurrecting my 64 T-34 Ghia that has basically
 sat since 1968. :O On it, I replaced ALL of the fuel hoses, ALL of the
soft  brake lines (I got the fronts from Jim, but had the rears "in stock"),
and had  Jim rebuild a master cylinder for me (I also converted to DOT 5 brake
fluid).  Before the engine went back into the car, I made sure I had
brakes. The car also  got 4 new tires (mounted and balanced), along with an entire
electrical check  up. The car is almost ready to go to the Invasion, after
having the body  separated from the pan, all the rust chased out, and new
seals installed. It's  taken me just over 2 years to get to this point though,
but a lot of the down  time was rust repair, and parts searching (t-34s are
really hard to find parts  for).

When I rebuilt my 71 Notch, Jim rebuild both the calipers and the master
cylinder, so I knew that the brakes were good to go. Like Gary, I like to
stop,  so to me brakes are as important as the engine (as far as driving goes).
I  wouldn't think twice about having him rebuild either a set of calipers
(he's  done a few sets for me over the years), or rebuild the master cylinder
(he's  done a couple of those too).

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)