[T3] Stalling after 15 minutes on the Interstate!

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 19:29:43 PDT 2012

I had this problem once when I adjusted the idle speed before the car was fully warmed up.  After a freeway run, the oil gets hot enough to fully close the Aux. Air Regulator, which will cause the idle to drop lower than normal if it's been set after only short in-town driving.  When it happened, I just rechecked the idle speed and bumped it back up to normal.  I did have my lights, wipers, radio, and possibly the fan on when I stalled in the squareback, so I'm sure that played a part in it.  I'd do another freeway run to get things nice and hot and then recheck your idle speed.  You could also plug the AAR hose w/o the freeway run and set it that way but I think the heat up method is probably better.

Aside from that one time it stalled completely, I do notice that the idle will drop pretty low for a brief moment after I've driven on the freeway and come to a stop (like at the end of the ramp), sometimes causing the oil light to flicker unless I rest my foot on the gas.  I've heard this is 'normal' from a few people, so I don't worry too much about it and just keep the RPMs up a tiny more when it does happen to boost the pressure.

My two cents,
Jeremy
SF, CA'71 Squareback, MT, FI