[T3] Generator brushes...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 17 07:24:37 PDT 2012

On 17 May 2012 at 6:37, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> I have not had to deal with my brushes yet.  However, I don't think I would
> know what the correct type 3 brush would look like if it was sitting
> infront of me.
>
> Are either of these correct for a type 3?  What is the filing that needs to
> be done ?
>
> http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/brush-set-generator-12-volt-2-pieces_396051/
>
> http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/carbon-brush-for-12-volt-generator-353750/

It's hard to tell for sure, but the photo looks right. I THINK they
are selling the very same part from both locations. The description,
however, shows that they're selling the same part for both Type 1 &
3. They are different, because the direction of rotation (with
respect to the brush spring) is different. Note also that they refer
to a type 1 part number.

You might have to file the angled ramp on top of the brush to get it
to work right. You just have to reverse the direction of the ramp.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org