[T3] tune up and wow... what a difference

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri May 25 13:49:30 PDT 2012

In a message dated 5/25/2012 11:06:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bfye at canyonville.net writes:

But, it  is a better/worse difference!
My 1600 had a bad distributor, so I put a new  one in, set the valves,
adjusted the carbs, set the timing and it ran  great!  The next morning....
banging, popping, unhappy sounds.  I  had to drive it though... so off I
go.  Once the engine warmed  up...  purring, power, running cooler, better
MPG!!!  Next  morning....  banging, popping, unhappy sounds!!!
What the  heck?

Yup, I'm having the same issue. Did the tune up stuff like you did, and
once it's warmed up, everything's fine, EXCEPT, the dwell. With the new points
 set at .016, I get 62* of dwell. But IF I open the gap to .017, then the
dwell  drops to 58*. :O I know it should be 50* + - 2*. So how do I get it
down? Any  ideas? It seems to actually prefer the .017 gap, since it's
actually  smoother on take off.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)