[T3] tune up and wow... what a difference

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 25 20:04:08 PDT 2012

On 25 May 2012 at 16:49, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Yup, I'm having the same issue. Did the tune up stuff like you did, and
> once it's warmed up, everything's fine, EXCEPT, the dwell. With the new points
>  set at .016, I get 62* of dwell. But IF I open the gap to .017, then the
> dwell  drops to 58*. :O I know it should be 50* + - 2*. So how do I get it
> down? Any  ideas? It seems to actually prefer the .017 gap, since it's
> actually  smoother on take off.

The feeler gauge setting is only approximate, especially with used
points. The dwell meter (assuming you trust the calibration of your
dwell meter) reading is the one to follow. Sometimes it's worthwhile
to borrow another dwell meter to see if it reads the same as yours. I
calibrated mine years ago, after it had an unrelated problem. It was
right on, but they usually have internal calibration pots and it's
possible that yours has drifted.

Since changing the dwell also changes the timing, it's likely that
the smoother take off is due to the change in timing. Changes in
dwell have almost no effect at low rpm.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org