[T3] Fuel System (Tank)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 30 13:03:38 PDT 2012

On 30 May 2012 at 10:45, Jim Adney wrote:

> I've never had a bit of trouble with old gas, even 8 years old, in
> one of my FI Type 3s. FYI, it's best to store the car with a full
> tank, just because this minimizes the amount of air that "breaths" in
> and out of the tank each time the barometric pressure changes. This
> minimizes the amount of water that can form as dew in the tank.

I should add that if enough gas evaporated away, it will leave a
gummy residue in everything that remains. If your "gas" is still a
free flowing liquid, it will probably be fine, but it's started to
thicken, it's probably too late to avoid extensive cleaning of things
like the fuel pump and strainer and replacement of the fuel filter.

Just go ahead and try to start it. No matter what happens, you won't
hurt anything by trying.

> Your "overflow" hose, under the RF fender, attaching to the backside
> of the filler pipe, is probably cracked and worthless. That MUST be
> fixed quickly. I sell a kit to replace this NLA part. The cost for
> your '72 is $30, including shipping.

That $30 also includes a kit that replaces the non-functional evap
system. It would be nice to keep it, but it's just too impractical to
keep running.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org