[T3] Fuel System (Tank)

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed May 30 16:38:47 PDT 2012

Thanks for all the advice so far.  The trunk seal appears to still be good,
but the problem was that the person who prepared the car and took it into
storage for me put a bunch of junk (including liquids in containers) into
the trunk.  Those liquids eventually leaked out and caused the problem.
I'm a bit bummed out because my trunk was previously pristine and, in fact,
it looked almost like it must have 40 years ago when new (it still blows my
mind that my '72 is now 40 years old).

I'll check inside the tank (by pulling the sender) tonight or tomorrow
morning.  Hopefully it is still clean inside like it used to be.  Although
I'm a bit worried because the gas cap was near rusted shut when I opened it
last week.  At that time, I noted to my horror that the inside of the
filler neck did not look good either.

The restoration process will be both fun and heartbreaking.  I already had
a list of projects that I knew I needed to complete from when I parked her
years ago.  Now time (and rust) has caused a few more that I need to take
care of first.

Jacob