[T3] 1970 steering column and allen bolts-help!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 30 19:24:46 PDT 2012

On 30 May 2012 at 20:51, John L. Morgan IV wrote:

> Here is a photo of my 1970 fastback's steering column
> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v461/aurorakooba/?action=view&current=IMG_2374.jpg
>
> And here is a link to Mike's allen bolt and column nut plate.
> http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mr_bojangles500/?action=view&current=Photo07301349.jpg
> How does the plate attach?  Am I missing something?  Does it slide in?  How
> do I get that sucker in there?

First, you need to get Mike to tell you what year your parts came off
of. I'm pretty sure that part changed sometime between '70 and '72,
so you might not have the right part.

To get to that area above your column, remove the 2 screws that are
holding that black relay (underside left) and the starter button
(underside right) then the plastic cover plate that loops over the
column can be worked up and off. Then you should be able to see what
you're doing.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org