[T3] Starting again?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue May 8 06:53:21 PDT 2012

Hello,

It has been a long time since I have posted to this list, because I had to
garage my '72 Squareback for the past 7 years and have been unable to work
on it.  I have since been reunited with my car, have relocated it from a
barn in Indiana to beautiful Northern California, and am wanting to get it
back on the road again. So I'm wondering, where to begin.

The car ran when it was parked 7 years ago, but I have not tried to turn it
over yet.  It was my daily driver for about 2 years before I parked it. Do
you guys recommend that I give it a shot and see if it starts, or do you
think I should just plan on a rebuild?  If I should try to start it,
anything I should do first to prep it for the first attempted turn over?
The Indiana barn, although water proof, was not as safe as a place as I
would have hoped because I notice significantly more rust on the vehicle
than when I parked her, but she still looks great.  Most of the rust is on
the exposed metal (exhaust, disk brakes, around the fuel cap, etc).  So
again, where should I begin?

Because the fuel that was in the tank is all gone (and there is probably
some gunk left behind) should I pull the tank and try to clean it out?

I've done nearly all the work to this car myself and would like to keep
that up.  I find working on the car a great stress reliever -- most of the
time ;-)

Also, it still has the stock FI system.  Do you guys recommend keeping
that?  It was difficult to find parts 5 years ago and I'm assuming it has
not become any easier.  Thoughts?

What else would you guys do in my shoes?

Jacob