[T3] Max Upstate 66 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 7 07:45:05 PST 2012

On 7 Nov 2012 at 1:53, Maximilian Bukszpan wrote:

> Next week I will pull out the 66 fastback from the garage and let it
> bring to Grand Gorge, where my mechanic will take the car on the lift.
> I told him about what I read about gas tank resto, so there is a
> different approach, first to seal the tank or second to just coat it
> with soluable oil, what ever this is?

Any kind of oil will work. This is just a temporary approach to
prevent rust from forming before you can get the tank installed and
filled with gas. After that, no coating is necessary, unless you keep
getting water in there, and if that's your problem, you should fix
THAT instead.

> Then we have to do a complete brake job, as I did last year with my 65
> bus, finally using DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid. Any experience out there
> with that stuff???

I've been using it in all my aircooled VWs since 1978. I strongly
recommend it. I've written a FAQ on it if you're interested.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org