[T3] Front beam is loose

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Nov 10 04:00:56 PST 2012

In a message dated 11/9/2012 4:58:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nurofiz at knology.net writes:

Yesterday I rotated the tires, as the outer tread of both front tires
showed considerably more wear than the middle and inner treads.  Rotated  back
to front on same side.  The rear tires were in better shape.   The rear tires
are 9 months old, the front tires are two years  old.

Today driving to and from work (15 miles one way over hill and  dale -
mostly freeway speeds) the steering wheel was not as jiggly.  It  seems before,
it would oscillate the most when no rotation was on the steering  wheel, and
would go away with a slight turn to the left or the right (mostly  to the
left).  In retrospect, it seems that at times these oscillations  would grow
in amplitude (if allowed to continue) and would wrest the steering  wheel
from my grip.  Again, as I said before, braking would stop it and  I'm pretty
sure turning the wheel would stop it too.

The problem seems  to have gone away with tire rotation, but I'm still not
happy with the axial  play in the upper torsion arms, and yes, I DID adjust
the right side per the  Bentley Manual.  A front-end alignment with new ball
joints was done 9  months ago.

The tire wear on the outer edges can come from either the toe in setting
being off, or something loose like the sway bar (but most likely the toe in
setting). If rotating the tires fixed most (or all) of the shimmying, then
you'll need to have the toe in checked before you wear the outer edges of
this  set of fronts. The balance of your shimmy is probably in the sway bar
now. Since  you've done the upper adjustment recently (like in the last couple
of days), and  you've still got play, that means you're going to have to
take a look at the  left side of the sway bar. But, IF it's been longer than
that, you'll need to do it again. I've found that sometimes (if it's  been a
long while between adjustments) that you'll need to do it several times  to
get it to actually take a set. I don't know why, but sometimes they like
to be a PIA. :O

When looking at the left side, there's 2 things to note. One is whether or
not the metal cap on the end is still there, and 2 is IF it's gone, how far
the  bar is in place inside the rectangle. If the cap is still there,
usually that  end is fine. But IF it's missing, that tells us, that end is loose,
and is  moving to the right when you adjust the right end. That's when you
have to pull  the bar out, and tear down the left side, and roll the bar
over to put a new  dimple in it, or install a replacement bar (if you have one).

By the way, I only mentioned the tires before, because I had a vibration on
 my 65 Notch, that would come in at 53 mph, and stay until it got up to 61
mph  (it was a real PIA trying to drive my normal 55 mph route). And it
would  literally shake the steering wheel right out of your hands. :O I had
those  tires re-balanced 3 times, and never got rid of the vibration, until I
replaced  them. Everything else on the front end had been checked, and
re-checked,  adjusted and re-adjusted (all new parts too, from ball joints to tie
rod ends,  to even rotors, and 3 different steering dampeners :O), but
nothing would fix it  until the tires were replaced. I don't know what the real
problem was with them,  but replacing the tires fixed my issue on it. Just
something to think about.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)