[T3] running rich and mystery material

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Nov 10 04:30:59 PST 2012

It looks as if you have a very rich mixture. Are you sure the pressure
sensor hose is in place and not leaking?
In your earlier video everything seemed to be working when driving around
the school grounds.  Was that only after it had warmed up?   If that was
from cold, something has changed dramatically - a lead off, a hose leaking
maybe.

Try taking the hose off the AAR - the idle should rise.  A thumb over the
end to stop the air bleed into the IAD should drop it again.  If it doesn't
behave like that, it's probably not the AAR.  Conversely, if the thumb
controls the fast idle speed OK, the AAR may be stuck shut.

However, a faulty AAR won't make the mixture richer.  It only controls the
fast idle speed, by reducing manifold vacuum which lets more air and hence
fuel into the cylinders.

The cylinder head temperature sensor tells the brain to enrichen the mixture
during warm up.  Maybe that's detached and therefore giving an infinite
resistance.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club

Yes Dave it runs that way when you first start it then it slowly gets better
than 5 mins later it runs like it did in the video with my son.  Sometimes
it's worse than other times.  Like when I done this it was at its worse. I'm
starting to lean towards the temp sensor in the head as well.  I need to
find out what the OHMS are on it so I can test it with a DVOM.

Dennis