[T3] running rich and mystery material

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Nov 11 06:17:07 PST 2012

On 10 Nov 2012 at 7:10, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/10/2012 6:35:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:
>
> The  cylinder head temperature sensor tells the brain to enrichen the
> mixture during warm up.  Maybe that's detached and therefore giving an
> infinite resistance.
>
> If it were "detached", I would think it would stall out, and not run.  At
> least that's what everyone (the FI gurus) on here has told me about  D-jet
> over the last 12 years that I've been here. That's the 1 sensor that  needs to
> be hooked up, or the engine won't start and run.

I don't know what happens if it's detached. I DO know that the engine
will die if it's shorted in the 68 "A" system. I know because it
happened to me, on the way to work, blocking traffic....  8-p

I think I've seen different responses with different systems. It
seems likely that Bosch made changes in the later systems to make the
system more robust in the face of such failures. Sort of a "limp
home" capability.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org