[T3] Manifold gaskets

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 12 18:45:58 PST 2012

>  Is is possible that putting the thin tin gaskets on top of the fat ones somehow caused leaks?...even with the 14 Lb torque job? Is this an area where gasket sealer must not be used?

Yes.  The metal ones have a hole in them for the indexing pin on the Type 1 heads.  This hole perfectly straddles the interface between the cylinder head and the valley between the ports on the dual port Type 3 manifolds...introducing a massive air leak.

Jill's Ghia had this tin gaskets in it when we first got.  Ran with a very high idle as a result.  Just use the paper gaskets or cut yourself some from a cereal box.

I posted some pictures showing the air leak caused by this a while back when I found it with Jill's Ghia.  Can't find the link right now.  Will post it when I do.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com