[T3] Manifold gaskets

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 18:02:21 PST 2012

Neither Bentley nor Muir books gave advice about what gaskets go under Intake Manifold.  One VW-foreign shop owner friend I called said put the thick gasket on bottom and the thin tin one on top....which is how they were when I took off the ancient manifolds.   So, I got the best looking gaskets in my collection, and used them for re-instalation....thin tin on top, thick one on bottom...no perma-gasket or anything...cleaned up around the area first.I have none of the paper gaskets here.   Did one side first...torqued to almost 14 Lb as Bentley says.

 Results!  There was no irregular engine idling!   BUT...though the idle adjustment screw was all the way in, the idle was racing...not like floored, but way too fast. Opening idle screw speeds it up even more, of course.

  Did the other side manifold.  Engine still racing.  A whole new disease. Never ran into this before.

  There MUST be serious air getting in (right?..not possibly electronic?) ...but now, haven't a clue where to look. This may be something about not just a T-3 but about a 41-year-old T-3.
  Undoing Pressure Sensor hose slows it down. Tried a replacement Pressure Sensor.  No difference.

 I will take the manifolds off the 72 engine that I removed about 6 weeks ago and put them on.  But that's fishing for a fix. None of the manifold boot hoses around here look that great, but can an invisible leak in one of them make the engine race like this?  It's as if I did invisible damage to the boots in all this work.  What if I moved the boots back and used duct tape (being mindful of not messing up the metal with sticky stuff) to just test if it's the boots leaking?

  Is is possible that putting the thin tin gaskets on top of the fat ones somehow caused leaks?...even with the 14 Lb torque job? Is this an area where gasket sealer must not be used?

PS: Checking for T-3 parts-gasket vendors on-line, of the several I found, none mentioned that paper gaskets come along with the fat gasket deal.  Have to call.