[T3] Oil Leak and Backfire

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 17:49:07 PST 2012

THAT would do it!

And a giant D'oh!

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"
65 Notchback "El Baja Rojo"
65 Squareback "Eggcrate"
87 golf "Winterat"
93 RX7 "Redstur"

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Brion
Sabbatino
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:47 PM
To: type3
Subject: [T3] Oil Leak and Backfire

I got my Solex duel carburetor Squareback running a few months ago. It had a
constant misfire coming from the left bank carburetor. The number 4 cylinder
pushrod tube gasket also leaked badly. Work got in the way and I let the car
set. No matter what I did to adjust the carburetors, that left side still
back fired. And then there was the oil leak. So, I gathered up the repair
parts to (new seals) to reinstall the push rod tube correctly. Figured the
misfire was a tight valve. So with the engine in the car I removed the coil,
generator, carburetor, intake, and sheet metal. Then I removed the valve
cover and discovered this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=992166

Not a good indicator of a quality rebuild job. Then throw in the very
obvious misaligned push rod seal.

How loose does a rocker arm adjustment have to be in order for this to
occur?

In any event, the head and valve seats look great, the cylinders look good,
cross hatching and all. A little crud to clean up on the number 3 cylinder
is all. I stretched the push rod tubes, installed new seals, and am putting
it all back together.

All the parts seem to be of very good quality (VW). I do have to wonder
about the inattention to detail of the re-builder.

I am confident it will run like a champ once I put it all back together,
adjust the valves, and sync the carburetors.

After witnessing this I know why we perform our own repairs and restoration.

Brion S.
S. Utah