[T3] Oil Leak and Backfire

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 13 18:23:33 PST 2012

On 13 Nov 2012 at 18:46, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> I got my Solex duel carburetor Squareback running a few months ago. It
> had a constant misfire coming from the left bank carburetor. The
> number 4 cylinder pushrod tube gasket also leaked badly. Work got in
> the way and I let the car set. No matter what I did to adjust the
> carburetors, that left side still back fired. And then there was the
> oil leak. So, I gathered up the repair parts to (new seals) to
> reinstall the push rod tube correctly. Figured the misfire was a tight
> valve. So with the engine in the car I removed the coil, generator,
> carburetor, intake, and sheet metal. Then I removed the valve cover
> and discovered this.
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=992166

Does this mean that you never tried to adjust the valves before
taking this all apart? I would have thought that any attempt,
including the one the rebuilder did, to adjust the valves would have
uncovered this.

Check that pushrod to make sure it isn't bent. Roll them on a flat
table to check them.

> I am confident it will run like a champ once I put it all back
> together, adjust the valves, and sync the carburetors.

Sounds pretty likely.  ;-)

> After witnessing this I know why we perform our own repairs and
> restoration.

You betcha!

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org