[T3] Carburetor Intake Gaskets

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 13 19:38:38 PST 2012

On 13 Nov 2012 at 19:33, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> That is what I thought. Just a paper gasket.
>
> I am thinking of using the phenolic spacer though. It stays so hot
> here, upper 90's to 110, all summer. Is it reasonable to use it as a
> thermal break. A precaution to keep from boiling off the fuel in the
> bowl?

There is supposed to be a phenolic thermal break spacer between the
manifold and the carb, on late dual carb engines. I thought they all
had it, but it was pointed out a couple weeks ago that early dual
carb engines didn't get them. What year do you have?

I think it's likely that all dual carb/dual port engines got the
plastic spacer between the carb and the manifold. That spacer is a
lot thicker than the FI gasket; it's maybe 3/8" thick.

I'm sure you could add the FI spacers, unless your head studs are too
short, or it raises the carbs too much to mate correctly with the air
cleaner.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org