[T3] So people not happy with me

Brion Sabbatino brionsab at msn.com
Tue Nov 13 20:47:00 PST 2012

I had no problem with your post to the group. Anytime any of use take on a repair or refurbishing project on a T3, different issues become apparent. There are not a lot of correct parts available for these cars, as there are for bugs or even buses. We have to choose the best solution available at the time. Purchasing from a supplier or private party always has it's surprises, whether it is delight or despair. I recently changed out a fuel pump on a B5 Passat Turbo, it took three times and different manufactures to obtain a pump and housing that both fit correctly and worked (Bosch won). This cost a lot of time and money on both my part and the supplier. The VW p/n was unavailable. Why did not the supplier know the other manufactures would not fit correctly, I do not know. Manufacturing tolerances where way off. They stood behind their product though.

These T3's have so many different variations in many areas. You would think they would all latch the same for many reasons. But no! So many little things like that. Break that cable and try to find a new old stock one. Another figure out a solution on your own task.

I have an interior light in a 1969 Porsche that is broken. I have not found a replacement in over twenty years. Seems it was not widely installed. It fits in the dash above the glove box. Most cars never had this Hella light installed.

No longer living in S. Cali presents it's challenges. We cannot just hop down the road and pick up a part or check something out. Order, hope, and wait for it to arrive now. Then it is what did I forget to order or need next!

At least we can come up with reasonable solutions with these T3's.

And the pain is worth the reward in the end result.

If not, we need a new hobby.

In the end you will truly enjoy your ride.There is a lot of history and attachment between you and that car.

Brion S.
S. Utah