[T3] So people not happy with me

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Nov 14 16:06:13 PST 2012

In a message dated 11/13/2012 11:47:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
brionsab at msn.com writes:

I had no  problem with your post to the group. Anytime any of use take on a
repair or  refurbishing project on a T3, different issues become apparent.
There are not  a lot of correct parts available for these cars, as there are
for bugs or even  buses. We have to choose the best solution available at
the time. Purchasing  from a supplier or private party always has it's
surprises, whether it is  delight or despair. I recently changed out a fuel
pump on a B5 Passat Turbo,  it took three times and different manufactures
to obtain a pump and housing  that both fit correctly and worked (Bosch
won). This cost a lot of time and  money on both my part and the supplier.
The VW p/n was unavailable. Why did  not the supplier know the other
manufactures would not fit correctly, I do not  know. Manufacturing
tolerances where way off.
They stood behind their product  though.

These T3's have so many different variations in many areas.  You would think
they would all latch the same for many reasons. But no! So  many little
things like that. Break that cable and try to find a new old stock  one.
Another figure out a solution on your own task.

I have an interior  light in a 1969 Porsche that is broken. I have not found
a replacement in over  twenty years. Seems it was not widely installed. It
fits in the dash above the  glove box. Most cars never had this Hella light
installed.

No longer  living in S. Cali presents it's challenges. We cannot just hop
down the road  and pick up a part or check something out. Order, hope, and
wait for it to  arrive now. Then it is what did I forget to order or need
next!

At  least we can come up with reasonable solutions with these T3's.

And  the pain is worth the reward in the end result.

If not, we need a new  hobby.

In the end you will truly enjoy your ride.There is a lot of  history and
attachment between you and that  car.

I too had no problem with your post. In the end, we did find out what your
issue was, which IS what this group is all about. And that's helping others
keep  their cars on the road, and answering questions others haven't seen
before.  Also, with the limited number of parts suppliers for our cars,
sometimes we have  to buy parts from different suppliers in order to
complete a
project. And YES,  some suppliers are better than others. And while I do
appreciate what Anthony  and Alex have done for the type 3 community,
there's
still more work that can be  done.

You aren't the first person to have a problem with them, and I know you
won't be the last either. I've had my own issues with them too (on 2
different
 projects). :O
Keep on updating your project as you go, as most of us in the community
find it interesting, and we'll still be here IF you need help, or moral
support.  : )

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)