[T3] Striker Plate

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:54:30 PST 2012

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, as I've been looking for/thinking of a solution to my plate that recently let go the last chunk of plastic still on it.  Now the hatch rattles annoyingly all the time.

Underneath the molded plastic are two metal 'rails' with holes in them that the plastic covers and fills the holes (if anyone hasn't seen it).  My ideal would be to find an intact plate assembly in the junkyard/classifieds.  Next, I've been looking at materials to recreate at least functionality of the original pieces (i.e. no rattle).  For the moment, I'm not going for show car perfection, so I've been looking at different kinds of formable epoxy putties that I can remake the bumpers on the plate with.  They sell them for filling gaps and bonding different materials (plastics, metals, etc.), typically they're in little tubes and you knead and mold it to whatever you need.  Although I haven't started experimenting yet, an appropriate putty seems like it could be formed to the right shape and even molded all the way around the metal rails (and pushed into the holes that the plastic once filled) for a somewhat permanent solution.  Most I've seen can be sanded, drilled, filed, and painted after curing, which would be perfect for fine-tuning the final shape of the bumper.  If I find a decent seeming solution in the "make it yourself realm", I'll post my results with photos.

Just for the heck of it I tried some of that "plasti-kote" stuff that you can spray on or dip parts in, it's supposed to form a layer of rubbery plastic on things.  It's worthless for this application, the original bumpers are much thicker than is practical with this stuff and it's not very durable.

-Jeremy
SF, CA'71 Squareback, MT, FI