[T3] Aux Air Regulator....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 20 21:39:41 PST 2012

On 20 Nov 2012 at 19:37, J. Jonik wrote:

> Just to be clear on testing the Aux AIr Reg  (71 T-3 w/ 73 engine,
> FI)....is it that after the engine is well warmed up, there should be
> no effect on engine idle when pulling and blocking the hose to air
> cleaner?

Yes, no change in idle speed once the engine is well warmed up.

>    But, does that mean there should be no suction felt too?    That
> is...should the AAR be closed, bringing in no air from the air
> cleaner, when engine is warm?

No, the AAR never closes off perfectly, so there will always be some
suction felt.

> This is about STILL trying to stop lurching and irregularity. Engine
> hums very nicely otherwise. No stalling, and easy start, etc.

> Notes:
> -   TVS is set to click with just a tiny push on throttle.

The click method is only for 68-9 TVSs. Your '71 TVS is now
incorrectly set. The later ones require an ohmmeter or the Bosch
tester. I'll send you my adjustment instructions.

> -   Manifolds, both sides, now with only thick gasket. No thin tin layered in as before.
> -   Air Distributor changed to be compatible with breather.   That is...no air hose from Air Distributor to breather.
> -  Cold Start stuff all shut off, unhooked, unplugged, etc...including thermo switch.
> -  Fat hose boots on manifold seem snug as a bug.
> -  After warmed up, performance is much better, but pretty bad with the lurching.

Sounds good except for the lurching. Under what conditions do you get
lurching?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org