[T3] Heater hose

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Tue Nov 20 22:02:30 PST 2012

On 11/21/12 2:39 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2012 at 14:09, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

>>> I've looked there and at McMaster-Carr, the problem is always the
>>> same: Everyone sells this in 1/4" incremental diameters, and we need
>>> 2-3/8". Off hand, you'd think that you could buy 2.5" tube and just
>>> tighten it down, but that requires closing down over 3/8" of
>>> circumference, which makes for a pretty nasty crush at the ends.
>>>
>>> I have some alum flex tubing from McMaster-Carr that I've not spent
>>> any time trying yet. It may be the right diameter, but I'm not sure
>>> it will collapse enough to get it installed. It seems really stiff.
>> I used some fairly rigid ducting from M-C and it fit really well. I'd
>> have to look up what size it was, but almost a perfect fit.
>> I cut it with a miter saw very slowly with an old carbide tipped blade.
>> I used Aircraft Spruce for smaller ones.
>>
>> Here's a pic showing it.
>>
>> http://s1165.beta.photobucket.com/user/bbottolfson/media/misc%20Fastback/13391141856434.jpg.html
> The silver stuff looks like what I got from McMaster-Carr. I think it
> will fit well, but it looks like it will be hard to get into place.
>
> The red stuff in your photo looks much bigger than the stock dia. Is
> that just an illusion? I stock the correct paper stuff for that
> location; it works quite well there.

The silicone stuff is a bit too big.  I bought some NOS tubes for the
cool air from someone, but they were the wrong size.  Too small diameter
and must have been for something else.  I just used an innertube to make
up the difference.  You can't really see it in the picture though.  Not
really the best solution for the cool tubes.

But, the galvanized stuff is a pretty close match to stock.  I just
wanted to show that it has worked out well.