[T3] Heater hose

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Tue Nov 20 23:06:42 PST 2012

On 11/21/12 3:08 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2012 at 15:02, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>
>> The silicone stuff is a bit too big.  I bought some NOS tubes for the
>> cool air from someone, but they were the wrong size.  Too small diameter
>> and must have been for something else.  I just used an innertube to make
>> up the difference.  You can't really see it in the picture though.  Not
>> really the best solution for the cool tubes.
> Beetles use a somewhat smaller hose for a different purpose, so
> that's probably what you got. I have the exact correct paper tube
> that works really well for our Type 3s. It's only the large metal
> flex hoses that I've not found a source for.
>
>> But, the galvanized stuff is a pretty close match to stock.  I just
>> wanted to show that it has worked out well.
> Yes, it looks good and probably fits well. Were you able to fit it
> into place with the engine all installed?

Everything else was installed when I put them in, it was one of the last
things I put on the car.  I'll admit it was a pain lying on my back with
the car on jack stands, but with some persuasion they went together.  If
I remember right, there's a little tab on the heat exchangers that helps
hold them in place.  I cut them a bit short fully compressed, then
expanded them to fit.  I used some aircraft style clamps that made it a
bit easier by using a socket to cinch them up.