[T3] fresh air box flaps

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Nov 29 05:43:44 PST 2012

On 28 Nov 2012 at 22:46, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Earl Schamehorn <earlsnotch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anybody ever rebuilt/refurbished the flaps on a set of early fresh air
> > boxes?
>
> Given the lack of responses, I guess not.  Please let me know if you
> go ahead with this, as mine badly need resealing, and I'd be
> interested to hear what kind of material works well for the flap
> seals.

I've never dealt with any as early as the ones he asked about, but I
think I have some material that might work if you just need to fix
the  flap seals. IIRC, it's thin foam with an adhesive back. If you
can send me the dimensions that you need, I'll check to see if the
bit I have would work for this job.

My experience with the vent boxes is limited to '68 and later. The
'68-70 version has a plastic tray/box, whereas the earlier ones are
steel. Unfortunately, the plastic ones won't work to replace the
earlier steel versions. The steel ones will rust thru if debris and
water is allowed to accumulate there. All of them need to be cleaned
and have the drains cleaned occasionally to make sure the water
drains correctly.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org