[T3] fresh air box flaps

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 06:55:19 PST 2012

In a message dated 11/29/12 8:43:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

> On 28 Nov 2012 at 22:46, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
>
>  > On Nov 13, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Earl Schamehorn <earlsnotch at gmail.com>
wrote:
>  >
>  > > Anybody ever rebuilt/refurbished the flaps on a set of early fresh
air
>  > > boxes?
>  >
>  > Given the lack of responses, I guess not.  Please let me know if you
>  > go ahead with this, as mine badly need resealing, and I'd be
>  > interested to hear what kind of material works well for the flap
>  > seals.
>
>  I've never dealt with any as early as the ones he asked about, but I
>  think I have some material that might work if you just need to fix
>  the  flap seals. IIRC, it's thin foam with an adhesive back. If you
>  can send me the dimensions that you need, I'll check to see if the
>  bit I have would work for this job.

I used something like that when I rebuilt the fresh air boxes on the T-34.
However, those are constructed differently than a standard T-3.

Way back in 2000, I tried using a thin layer of silicone on my 65"s fresh
air box flaps. It didn't work like I wanted though. Since the flaps on those
boxes work more like a clamshell. One flap sends air up to the dash, while
the 2nd flap sends air to under the dash.They use a strip of rubber on both
flaps, that eventually hardens, and then leak (not seal). I've got another
set here that I'm going to try the foam on (like I used on the T-34), and see
if that will work. If not, I might try some other style foam that I have
here, as that has some rubber mixed into it. It's more of a gasket seal that
McMaster Carr sells, that I have left over from another project.

Bob 65 Notch S with Sunroof and IRS, aka "Krusty"
       64 T-34 Ghia aka "Wolfie"</HTML>