[T3] Front beam is loose

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Mon Nov 5 14:11:24 PST 2012

 Sometimes, when going over bumps (are even driving straight down the road) the steering wheel will develop a major shimmy that I can calm by applying the brakes.

I have tried to fix this, but I believe things are worn so much that replacement is necessary.

The front beam that's in there (and all the bits therein) are surely original to the car.  I got new ball joints (and a front end alignment) last year.  The rubber stops are long gone, and the wings that they mount to are so badly rusted that they are porous.

There is a good bit of axial play in the right upper torsion arm (the source of the shimmy?) so that I believe a new thrust ring is in order. My questions are thus:
1)  If a replace one thrust ring, should a replace the other one (on the other end)?
2) What about the needle bearings and the bushings while I'm in there?
3) What is the likelihood that the stabilizer bar needs replacing?

I don't think I want to touch the torsion mechanism in the lower tube.

Should I instead get a new (to me) front beam with good rubber stops?

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN