[T3] Spark Plug cleaning

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 10:11:00 PST 2012

> ?I may also get new plugs (current ones were pretty black before
> cleaning them a few days ago)

How did you clean the plugs? Cleaning them with a wire brush can
leave metallic tracks on the insulator, leading to mis-firing.
----------------------------------
Other than replacing, properly gaped new plugs, what's the recommended
way to clean spark plugs?

When I first started driving (1952), plugs seemed to foul pretty quickly.
Most service stations had a machine that used sand and air pressure to
"blast" the ground electrode and center electrode cavity.  Regular
Customers were often allowed to bring a set of plugs to the station
and the owner allowed them to use the cleaner ... for FREE.

In a pinch, many "old timers" used their pocket knife to ream out the
carbon build-up.  They also used a common product (I can't remember
what it was?  A dime?) to set the gap, if the didn't have a feeler
gauge, at hand.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)